Opened 10 years ago

Closed 10 years ago

#190 closed improve feature (worksforme)

Add legend to map

Reported by: tgoorden Owned by: micha
Priority: trivial Milestone: 0.1.4
Component: BW Search Keywords: legend search map
Cc: matrixpoint

Description

Add a legend to the map, so it's clear what a black/orange/green/Zzzzz profile icon means.

Change History (8)

comment:1 Changed 10 years ago by micha

  • follow_up set to none
  • Owner set to micha
  • Status changed from new to assigned

comment:2 Changed 10 years ago by micha

  • Milestone changed from 0.1.1-outreach-bugfixing to 0.1.2 - more improvements & bugfixing

comment:3 Changed 10 years ago by micha

  • Cc matrixpoint added

John, would you be fine with a legend "on" the map? You said once that you wouldn't like a lot of stuff on the map because it might get too crowded. What do you think?

I don't see another good place for it because the results are already so far away down there. Suggestions welcome!

comment:4 Changed 10 years ago by matrixpoint

What about adding the accommodation setting to the pop-up when the icon is clicked?

I think the icons are almost self-explanatory by the expression on them.

Once a first-time user figures it out, they will easily remember it forever. Therefore, I would guess that 95%+ of the views of the map are by people who know what the 3 icons mean. I would not want to block a section of the map for the sake of the other 5%- if they could learn just by clicking on one of them.

But I don't strongly object to a legend. More importantly than anything, I think issues like this should be decided by the users themselves.

comment:5 Changed 10 years ago by micha

Umm, but I just reacted on Thomas' suggestion to add a legend.. so it's a user's request and I had the feeling he was right. Because in fact, my icons aren't that self-explanatory - even if I like to hear that ;).

Let's say, I try to put them below the map or so and we see if it takes up too much space. Otherwise we leave them out until we see more request like this.

comment:6 Changed 10 years ago by matrixpoint

By all means...I'd like to see what you have in mind. I was just giving my personal opinion. I'm a minimalist by nature.

I love those icons you put on the map. They're perfect. They add a "personality" (beyond the generic Google look) that's a nice blend pragmatic and humorous.

comment:7 Changed 10 years ago by micha

  • follow_up changed from none to test
  • freq_reported set to 1
  • show_on_bw set to 0
  • version changed from alpha to all

provided with the latest updates on "searchmembers"

comment:8 Changed 10 years ago by micha

  • follow_up changed from test to none
  • Resolution set to worksforme
  • Status changed from assigned to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.