Opened 5 years ago

Closed 5 years ago

#2106 closed improve feature (fixed)

Improvements to the translation lists

Reported by: Tsjoek Owned by: Tsjoek
Priority: major Milestone: 2.3
Component: BW Internationalization Keywords:
Cc: shevek


The current translation lists in adminwords are difficult to use and very inviting to waste one's time. On the other hand they have a lot of potential. Let's change the lists into something that is actually usable.


  • Introduce a 'This is ok' button, to update a wordcode from the lists with 'Update Needed'. If a translator sees that translation is still ok, in spite of the change in English, he can push the button and continue his way. (As suggested by pauloaguia in
  • Sort the lists by last-(major-)update-of-the-English-text, from new to old. (also suggested by pauloaguia in the same post)
  • Limit the lists at first view to items that had the last update in English between 7 days and 6 months. Those items are the 'safest' to translate. On top of it would be a 'show all' link for the brave and (un)wise.
  • Calculate the stats based on the amount of English text of the translated wordcodes and not on the number of items. Gives a better representation of the amount of work done. Exclude the donottranslates/isDeleted from calculation completely, and count '(major)update-needed' not as being translated.

Change History (11)

comment:1 Changed 5 years ago by Tsjoek

Pt 3 has changed to: items that are created at least 7 days ago and updated max 6 months.

+ some layout improvements to improve readability

See #2107 for db updates

comment:2 Changed 5 years ago by Tsjoek

  • Milestone changed from unassigned to 2.3
  • Status changed from new to to_alpha

comment:3 Changed 5 years ago by Tsjoek

  • Status changed from to_alpha to testing

comment:4 Changed 5 years ago by Tsjoek

  • Cc shevek added

comment:5 Changed 5 years ago by crumbking

not sure this is the right ticket:

  • lot of empty space on missing, all, update page lists because of unneeded height in .awstatstable
  • tables are still hard to read with lot of white space because of long codes

Alternative table layout:

Description:the will be shown on all pages
50% width English Text50% width German Text
  • translate page: there is a "find code" button which could be removed as there is a separate page for searching
  • hardcoded text: shouldn't we introduce a translatable interface

besides that great work!

comment:6 Changed 5 years ago by Tsjoek

You're fast... I guess it's the best possible ticket for most of your points.

The white space is intentional, otherwise the table runs over the menu on the right hand. I've tried to limit the amount as much as possible.

I've been thinking too about your table layout, but dropped it because it becomes very hard to distinguish the wordcodes from translations, especially for the longer translations. I do however admit that the tables are far from perfect yet. Rox and css is still not an easy to grab combination for me, so I practically didn't change anything in it, after trying several things.

The find code still has a different function from the find words function, see my posts in the translation group. At a later stage I can imagine a complete integration of find words/find code/translation lists. But that was a bridge too far for now.

Translatability had zero priority as basically all languages have more important work to do than this, see updated stats. A few wordcodes have been created (and put to DNT) on points where this was easier than making them hardcoded. At a later stage that could be done.

comment:7 Changed 5 years ago by shevek

One problem with the lists is that the text is vertically centered in the table cells. Could we change that to vertical-.aling: top? At least I find that more readable.

comment:8 Changed 5 years ago by shevek

Fixed some validation errors and use a short Ajax JS to be able to set no update needed without a page reload:

comment:9 Changed 5 years ago by sitatara

Some observations after testing these changes:

  • 'This is ok' button works fine - great improvement! :-)
  • Sort the lists by last-(major-)update-of-the-English-text seems to be working as well.
  • The limitation of the lists at first view to items that had the last update in English between 7 days and 6 months: I think that is fine and very useful for the lists "Update needed" and "Only missing" but not for "All words" which should, as the name says show all words. Additionally, there is a problem once I remove the limitation in any of the three lists: The entry "Update Needed" in the action menu disappears.
  • Not sure how to test the stats. ;-)

comment:10 Changed 5 years ago by Tsjoek

but not for "All words"

The "all" in "all words" refers to the status of the word, not to the time limitation. I still think that it should first come up with the subset of wordcodes that is most actual and only in second instance with the 'more dangerous' ones. Or people start to use the all list for daily translating which nullifies the effect.

The entry "Update Needed" in the action menu disappears.

I will add another few pixels to the whitespace. Although whether it runs over the menu or not still depends on your browsersettings, the textzoom to be more precise.

Not sure how to test the stats. ;-)

Paulo has proved that translating the whole bunch results in 100,0% so that's good. You might want to doublecheck that with German as well ;-)
I've done a little bit of experimenting myself and think that right now the middle to long texts are slightly overrated, but I don't see that as an issue because most languages have the biggest gaps in the longer half of the texts, so I'll consider that an encouragement for them.

comment:11 Changed 5 years ago by crumbking

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from testing to closed

okay works

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.