Server admin guidelines
To ensure stable operation of www.bewelcome.org and related sites and to serve our thousands of members well, admins must follow these guidelines:
- Long running CPU intensive admin tasks SHOULD be executed during off-peak times if possible, for example late at night or early in the morning (CET) on a weekday (see stats).
- Server admins MUST be available in IRC chat #bewelcome at all times while carrying out live server admin tasks.
- Tasks that affect website performance noticeably for more than 5 minutes ("slow-down tasks") MUST be announced to the dev list and a second admin SHOULD be present.
- Slow-down tasks that take longer than 30 minutes MUST be scheduled and announced to the community at least 1 day in advance by community blog, unless they are emergency measures.
- If www goes down unexpectedly for more than 15 minutes, the dev list, twitter and identica readers MUST to be notified explaining the reasons briefly. (Server admins must get access to @bewelcome everywhere)
- Don't take the name of root in vain. ;) Admin tasks SHOULD be carried out as an unprivileged user via sudo to increase security and to avoid unfortunate "rm -rf" type of accidents.